National Archives CONFIRM Trump took classified documents from White House
The National Archives confirmed on Friday that Donald Trump brought classified White House documents to Mar-a-Lago when he left office.
The agency notified Congress and is currently in talks with the Justice Department about an investigation after the sensitive material was found in 15 boxes seized from its Florida home.
“Because NARA has identified classified information in the boxes, NARA personnel have been in communication with the Department of Justice,” says the letter, written by David S. Ferriero, the National Archivist, to Rep. Democrat Carolyn Maloney.
Ferriero also said White House staff members conducted official business using “unofficial email accounts that were not copied or forwarded to their official email accounts.”
He said he had already recovered or was in the process of recovering “some” of these recordings.
The National Archives confirmed on Friday that Donald Trump brought classified White House documents to Mar-a-Lago when he left office. He also confirmed that former President Trump tore up documents which were later transferred to the archives.
Such record keeping has flared up several times in recent years, and Hillary Clinton’s use of private email was a driving force behind Trump’s 2016 campaign.
It’s the latest in a string of revelations over the past two weeks about Trump’s handling of cases when he left office, including allegations that he stuffed documents down the lavatory’s toilet. White House and brought the Pentagon to cremate papers.
The archivist said NARA contacted the White House attorney in 2018 following a news article about Trump tearing up records.
The attorney’s office replied that the matter was “being processed”.
After the end of the Trump administration, he learned that “additional paper documents that had been torn up by former President Trump were included in the documents transferred to us.”
“Although White House staff during the Trump administration recovered and saved some of the torn tapes, a number of other torn tapes that were transferred have not been reconstructed by the White House,” according to the letter. .
Among other items the National Archives recovered from Mar-a-Lago is the infamous hurricane map that the president allegedly scribbled with a Sharpie pen to widen his possible path.
Another memento a source told the Post had been removed was a mini Air Force One replica that Trump proudly displayed in the Oval Office, after getting involved in the details of a redesign until a job paint.
A former aide said Trump displayed at Mar-a-Lago a “mini replica of one of the black border wall slats” that Trump helped design for his border wall.
There are laws governing the removal of classified documents – but the president also has the unilateral power to declassify information, which leads to a potentially murky area.
The National Archives said it had “ongoing conversations” with Trump before recovering the 15 boxes of material.
He said he plans to complete an inventory by February 25.
People wait for a moving van after boxes of papers and materials were moved out of the Eisenhower Executive Office building inside the White House complex on January 14, 2021
The National Archives has recovered 15 boxes of documents from Mar-a-Lago, where former President Donald Trump has offices and resides. Included was an infamous “sharpie” map with the trail of Hurricane Dorian’s approach in 2019
One item believed to have made its way to Mar-a-Lago is a mini replica of a redesigned Air Force One that Trump used to display in the Oval Office
The National Archives has confirmed that it has recovered classified material from Mar-a-Lago
The letter also confirmed that President Trump had “ripped up” paper files
Newly torn discs had not been glued back together
On Thursday, President Biden denied another request for executive privilege by Trump to withhold the diaries of White House visitors from the House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.
In a letter sent to the National Archives on Tuesday, Biden’s White House attorney Dana Remus told US archivist David Ferriero that the agency should provide the material to the panel within 15 days.
Former President Trump is trying to invoke executive privilege to prevent the panel from obtaining the logs, just as he did with other White House documents that were given to the committee earlier this this month.
Ferriero wrote a letter to Trump on Wednesday advising him that he would cooperate with the White House’s request that the logs be turned over to the panel within 15 days.
‘After consultation with the President’s Counsel and the Assistant Attorney General of the Office of Legal Counsel, and pursuant to President Biden’s instructions, I have decided to disclose to the House Select Committee Investigating the 6 January against the United States Capitol (“Select Committee”) the Presidential Records of our January 14, 2022 notification that you identified as privileged in your January 31, 2022 letter,” he wrote.
He added: ‘[T]In order to ensure that personal information is not inadvertently disclosed, the select committee has agreed to accept production of these documents without dates of birth and social security numbers.
Trump could try to block or slow down the publication of the newspapers as he has done with other documents and documents from the White House.
Remus called for the logs to be returned in 15 days “in light of the urgency” of the committee’s investigation and insisted “Congress has a dire need” for the National Archives to release the documents.
“The constitutional protections of executive privilege should not be used to protect, from Congress or the public, information that reflects a clear and apparent effort to overturn the Constitution itself,” Remus wrote at the Archives.