Huskies remain undefeated, Wolves and Lumberjacks miss out
The St. Cloud State University men’s hockey team maintained their unbeaten streak, while the Granite City Lumberjacks suffered their first loss of the fledgling season and the Minnesota Timberwolves came up short in a their last pre-season game on Friday. Football teams from the University of Minnesota, North Dakota State University and St. John’s University will return to the field on Saturday as the Wild seek their first victory and the he St. Benedict’s College hockey team will play its first exhibition game of the season against Bethel.
– The Huskies kept their streak alive with a 5-1 win over Wisconsin on the road on Friday. Dylan Anhorn, Spencer Meier, Grant Ahcan, Grant Cruikshank and Cooper Wylie each lit the lamp for St. Cloud. The Huskies are 3-0 and will end the series with the Badgers on Saturday. The puck drop is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
– The Lumberjacks lost their first game of the season 4-3 in a shootout against Mason City. Joe Greniuk, Finnigan Greeley and Brett Robinson each scored one for Granite City. The Lumberjacks drop to 7-0-0-1 and will play Game 2 against the Toros on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
– The Timberwolves fell to Brooklyn 112-102 at Target Center on Friday. The Nets opened up a 16-point lead in the first half. Minnesota was unable to close the gap late, despite outscoring the visitors in each of the last two quarters. Kyrie Irving led all scorers with 26 points for Brooklyn. D’Angelo Russell led Minnesota with 17 points and six assists. Wolves end the pre-season 4-1. They will open the regular season Wednesday by hosting Oklahoma City at 7:00 p.m.
– The Wild (0-1) will be looking for their first regular season victory when they host the Kings (0-2) on Saturday. This is the first game between the teams this season. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on AM 1390 and 93.9 FM Granite City Sports.
– The Gophers (4-1) will be looking to rebound from their loss to Purdue when they visit Illinois (5-1) on Saturday. Minnesota should be well rested from their bye week when they face the Illini. The Gophers lead the series 40-31-1 but lost last season’s game 14-6. Pregame coverage begins at 9:00 a.m. on AM 1240 and 95.3 FM WJON.
– Le Bison (5-1) will return home to host SDSU (5-1) on Saturday. The Bisons lead the series 63-44-5. The Jackrabbits won the final game 27-19. Pre-game coverage begins at 2:00 p.m. on AM 1390 and 93.9 FM Granite City Sports.
– The Johnnies (4-1) will look to stay warm when they visit St. Olaf (3-2) on Saturday. St. John’s leads the overall series 39-8-1. Last season, SJU shut out the Oles for a 56-0 victory. Kick-off is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. in Northfield.
– The Bennies will open the season with a scrimmage against Bethel on Saturday. St. Ben’s Trails in the series 15-26-5 overall. The action starts at 1:00 p.m.